Detecting a "grabEnter"?

David Epstein dfepstein at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 21:22:59 EDT 2008

Is there a way to capture "drag" events once an object has been
"grabbed" with the "grab" command?

I know that by setting the dragData I can initiate a dragDrop, and
then capture events like "dragEnter". But in that case the user is
just dragging a cursor around. If we're actually dragging a control,
it seems that the only message sent is mouseMove.

If, for example, I want to highlight the "object-that-will-be-dropped-
on-if-the-mouse-is-released now," that would seem to require checking
the rect of all possible objects on every nudge of the mouse--
particularly onerous if the possible objects are numerous and their
locations are changeable.

Is there a more efficient solution? (I notice in the message watcher
that when an object is grabbed, a dragStart message is sent; but I
don't detect anything like dragEnter during the course of dragging
the grabbed object).

Many thanks.

David Epstein