Parallels

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Tue Sep 2 15:11:48 EDT 2008

>I'm not sure whether Parallels on an Intel Mac fits the definition
>of "virtualization" per se, given that it provides a shell in which
>the OS makes native calls which for the most part are going straight
>to the processor.
>
>Parallels does provide an additional layer for integration with the
>host OS, to support copy-n-paste, drag-n-drop, folder sharing, etc.
>between multiple OSes running, but my understanding is that it's
>somewhat focused in scope and doesn't have a significant impact on
>performance of most native API calls.
>
>If someone has more complete information on that it would be good to
>learn more about the performance differences between the two.
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Managing Editor, revJournal

Virtualization programs apparently do not send all calls directly to
processor. My kids experimented with Parallels and VMware and there
are definite performance differences and limitations. Parallels does
better with games but still only a few work properly (there is a list
on their web site). Vista gets visibly better performance under
VMware. Parallels has closer integration with Mac. Each has its
strengths and weaknesses.

Robert