(Mac OS X) user specific fullscreen strangeness

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Wed Oct 29 14:19:47 EDT 2008

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Ben Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> So I have one account where the titlebar does not appear as I'd
>> expect; but in all the other accounts, when the stack goes fullscreen,
>> it goes fullscreen - but the titlebar appears.  On all other machines
>> where I've tested, titlebar disappears as expected.
>>
>> Does anyone have any light to shed, or similar experiences?
>
> Yes, I'm working on an app that also goes fullscreen. I've noticed the
> same issue, but I don't think it is related to the user account, it has
> something to do with redrawing the window. It isn't consisent for me,
> but Rev does want to push the window down on Mac OS to allow the
> titlebar to show. This makes sense in most cases, because otherwise the
> user could not move the window. It is only a problem for kiosk apps.

I disagree that it makes sense: fullscreen should mean fullscreen.  As the
documentation says "When a stack is full screen, all decorations are removed".

Of course one can hide the menubar, and set the rect of the stack to either
fit the content area to the screen, or content area plus titlebar to the
screen; so 'the fullscreen' is just a convenience.  But I think it should do
what it says!

> The solution is pretty simple. When the stack opens, resumes, or
> maximizes just set the topleft of the stack to 0,0. That's been working
> fine for me.

Since sending my despairing email, I've found what I think is the cause:
having the dock shown or not.  When a stack goes fullscreen, it hides the
dock; but under some circumstances it then messes up the calculations.

On my development machine, I have two monitors; the dock is permanently on,
but on the secondary monitor. On our working account of the test machine, we
had the dock set to autohide. In both cases, fullscreen works fine. But all
new accounts are initialised with the dock permanently visible; and when Rev
sets an already open stack fullscreen on a monitor that has the dock visible,
it correctly hides the dock - but messes up its calculations (even if the dock
was at the side rather than the bottom of the screen) and leaves the title bar
of the window visible.  In my app there are two stacks which are set
fullscreen; one of them is set fullscreen before it is opened, and when it is
opened, it's fine too.  So in all cases the dock is hidden; but if the stack
was opened before it went fullscreen, on a monitor that also has the dock
visible, then we get the problem.

I've entered this in QC as #7373.

- Ben