How to tell when a table field has changed

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 05:25:37 EDT 2008

--- Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com> wrote:
> Jan,
>
> Thanks. It looks like it sends the
> revUpdateCellValue message whenever
> a cell changes (like when pressing tab or return)
> not just when the
> value changes. Unfortunately, without the pOldText
> value I can't tell
> if it changed or not.
>
> Maybe you were thinking of a different message that
> only sends when
> the value changes? If not, I'll report the pOldText
> value missing as a
> bug.
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

The thing is, 'revUpdateCellValue' is an undocumented
message and may not be around in the next version or
may change parameters. Right now, it is caught in the
'revCommon' backscript to prevent error messages until
this is either 'officialized' or 'deprecated'
Right now there is no API at all, and I don't think
'closeField' is the correct message to send to the
table field - maybe there should be an 'openCell' /
'closeCell' / 'exitCell' triad triggered from the
frontscript until we get a real table control.
As for getting messages when nothing has changed, this
has to do with the internal workings of the 'revTable'
frontscript - it insists on saving the value in the
current cell before moving on to another cell, and
that part of the script assumes something has changed.
Faced with this chicken-and-egg problem, one would
probably like to see this error fixed and a
semi-definitive API published for the table field - in
the same way that some bits of the 'revDatabase'
frontscript have been opened up.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====