How to tell when a table field has changed

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 01:11:35 EDT 2008

--- Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com> wrote:
> How do I tell when the contents of a table field
> have changed?
>
> It doesn't seem to generate a closeField message
> which is what I
> really want.
>
> Recipe (Rev 3 IDE. Mac OS X 10.5.5)
> 1. Create a table field
> 2. Set the script to:
> on closeField
>     put "Close Field"
> end closeField
>
> on exitField
>     put "Exit field"
> end exitField
>
> 3. Edit the contents of the field or even click off
> the field. Nothing
> is put in the message box.
>
> Bill Vlahos

Hi Bill,

The tricky part is that the table field is not the
target of the closeField message - instead, it's sent
to the temporary field that is created as a 'cell
editor' in the 'revTable' frontscript.
What makes this even more complicated, is that this
'cell editor' field is actually deleted by that
frontscript before the 'closeField' is passed on to
the message path.
However, not all is lost, as the 'revTable'
frontscript will actually send out an undocumented
message if a cell has changed:
  revUpdateCellValue
pObject,pXcell,pYcell,pOldText,pNewText
Looking at the frontscript, I wouldn't count on the
'pOldText' parameter though - it looks like that got
lost in one of the changes to the frontscript.

HTH,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====