Gradient GUI tool?

-= JB =- sundown at pacifier.com
Wed Oct 15 15:10:46 EDT 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Chipp Walters wrote:
>> FWIW, I'd rather the team focus on getting a decent table object put
>> together.
>
> Agreed wholeheartedly.  I would not advocate prioritizing anything
> related to gradients above at least independent column alignment
> and hidden columns.  I was just checking to see if anyone here had
> added that to the queue.
>
>> If I need gradients for buttons, I'll use ButtonGadget,
>> Photoshop or other tool of choice. I've never even seen a gradient
>> used in a field, and can't envision a case where I'd want such a
>> thing. I understand about 'rules,' but it's a plain fact different
>> objects have different properties, not only in Rev but also most all
>> other OOP environments.
>
> Of course a button isn't a field, but there's an orthogonality in
> the rest of the color/pattern properties that not only aids
> learnability but general usefulness as well.
>
> True, it's rare that a field would need a gradient, but if you
> think of a field as a text display are I think you'll find many
> examples where subtle gradients are used.
>
> Buttons, of course, almost always have a subtle gradient these days
> (Aqua, Glass, Gnome, et al).
>
> Until we get the sort of consistency I'm asking for, it's not hard
> to just keep doing what we've always done - making images and using
> the backgroundPattern.  devolution's had gradient-making tool for
> years for that reason, though it's not as nice as Rossi's. :)
>
> But it does mean that if you decide to change the size of your
> buttons, you need to go back to whatever editor you used to also
> revise the images.  Not a deal-breaker, but a handy nice-to-have if
> we could avoid those extra steps.
>

>> I'd rather have separate blendlevels for controls outside the stack
>> blendlevel-- as it stands now, if you create a stack which is
>> partially transparent, all the controls on it are also partially
>> transparent. I'd like to make some of them more opaque.
>
> That would be useful too -- has that been submitted?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Managing Editor, revJournal

To this day I haven't even used the gradient tool and am still pretty
new to Rev but
it sounds to me like it is used to provide different visual
appearances to buttons.  It
may seem this should be limited to buttons but when it comes to Rev
taking a stand
and creating a new Revolution of programming by providing a flexible
dynamic table
control Richard is right on the money about adding this option
sometime.  Imagine if
you have a table field and you are using numerous button like scripts
for each item.
It would be nice to have the option to make each cell have the
ability to change its
appearance for each button like script that is selected.  So if you
were doing a data
base you could have the buttons change when you have the sort option
selected
and if you selected the search the cells would change for the
appearance you set.
Little visual effects like that can make the user experience more
enjoyable and it
would be one more thing that makes your program stand out from the
competition.
That means more sales and who does not want that?

-=>JB<=-