Table inspector from 4W

-= JB =- sundown at pacifier.com
Tue Oct 14 18:25:36 EDT 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 2:54 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> WHOOPS! I have started another firestorm methinks. I have been
> informed that a table object of the nature you speak of IS a high
> priority to Runrev, but incorporating it is a huge thing. I do not
> think most people realize what a difficult thing table management
> is. Each cell is like it's own field. But then horizontal groups of
> fields can be controlled together as in changing the column width
> or changing the column formatting. And then rows are groups as well!
>
> So do you need to be able to select rows/columns and do operations
> on them? How about font control? Does each cell get it's own
> formatting? Will you need discontinuous selections? How many will
> you allow? Endless? Will the data be stored in memory or use disk
> caching? Will you allow direct access to database queries to show
> up? Will you be able to lock/hide cells/rows/columns? Change the
> background/foreground colors of each cell or groups of cells?
>
> For each of these operations there needs to be all new scripting
> commands. It's a HUGE undertaking. That is why I keep saying I
> would pay good money for a decent table object. It's probably one
> of the hardest things to implement in any user interface. I would
> rather have Runrev get it right out of the box then to be given a
> simplistic table object that does half of what I need, and then
> have to hope and pray they improve it in a reasonable time.
>
> Bob Sneidar
> IT Manager
> Logos Management
> Calvary Chapel CM

Each cell can already be controlled separately plus have its own font
& style.  The columns
can already be resized but the rows still need to be able to be
resized.  The data can be
stored how they are storing it now and if needed changed in the
future.  There are already
examples that show how to resize and move fields.  Columns can
automatically be resized
too.  Each cell can easily become as many separate  buttons as the
programmers wants.
Searching and sorting can easily be incorporated.  Locking text is
already a standard too.

Many things can be done very fast  because it is already being done.
Integrating it all can
not be that hard unless they are trying to rewrite it in a different
language and make it do
what is already being done with transcript.

After they release a sophisticated flexible table field users can
make suggestions for
more features.

If it is too hard for them then Richard should continue improving his
field.  If they have
intentions of changing it soon they should tell him so he won't waste
his time.  He gives
a lot of his time already and considering the amount of time he has
given they owe it to
him to not treat him like a mushroom and keep him in the dark.

-=>JB<=-