Table inspector from 4W

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Oct 14 17:54:43 EDT 2008

WHOOPS! I have started another firestorm methinks. I have been
informed that a table object of the nature you speak of IS a high
priority to Runrev, but incorporating it is a huge thing. I do not
think most people realize what a difficult thing table management is.
Each cell is like it's own field. But then horizontal groups of fields
can be controlled together as in changing the column width or changing
the column formatting. And then rows are groups as well!

So do you need to be able to select rows/columns and do operations on
them? How about font control? Does each cell get it's own formatting?
Will you need discontinuous selections? How many will you allow?
Endless? Will the data be stored in memory or use disk caching? Will
you allow direct access to database queries to show up? Will you be
able to lock/hide cells/rows/columns? Change the background/foreground
colors of each cell or groups of cells?

For each of these operations there needs to be all new scripting
commands. It's a HUGE undertaking. That is why I keep saying I would
pay good money for a decent table object. It's probably one of the
hardest things to implement in any user interface. I would rather have
Runrev get it right out of the box then to be given a simplistic table
object that does half of what I need, and then have to hope and pray
they improve it in a reasonable time.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management