Problem running Revolution Player.exe and Rev Stack on Vista/Dell

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Oct 13 16:53:04 EDT 2008

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
> Well, got my completed program out for testing on Vista. It had run fine
> on my VMWare XP/Mac OSX; but we get the following dialog when dragging
> the stack onto the Revolution Player:
>
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support
> the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress
> the file."

This looks like a message from Windows Media Player, not from
Revolution. If your system doesn't have QT installed, Rev uses Windows
Media Player to run multimedia files inside a Revolution player object.
If WMP doesn't have the correct codec to decode the media, you'll get
this error.

Test to see if you can run your media files without Revolution, opening
them directly with Windows Media Player instead. If you get the same
error, that's the problem and you'll need to install the right codec or
else compress your media using a different codec that is more standard
on all machines.

Rev will try to use QuickTime on Windows unless you specify not to. If
QT is not installed, it will try to use Windows Media Player. In either
case, you need to have the correct codec installed so that either WMP or
QT can decode the file.

I'm not sure why it would work in VMWare for you initially if the codec
is missing; did you get this error on the same machine? If it worked in
one case and not the other on the same machine (or the same virtual
machine,) then something else is going on.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com