iPhone again

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sun Oct 12 14:44:46 EDT 2008

> 3. Develop something that is so far outside Apple's interests
> that there would be no way they would even consider going there.

Yes - but unless what you are producing is very vertical market, its very
hard to guess what area they may suddenly go into.

> 4. Develop for in-house use.
>
> I plan to do 1 & 3 but also mainly 4. Meanwhile, I have some
> Rev apps producing static web pages customized to normal
> browsers or the iPhone and a Rev cgi server producing dynamic
> pages, again specifically designed to display well on the iPhone.

Apple reps have strongly emphasized that implementing a pure web solution is
the least trouble. It makes a lot of sense to me to go this route unless
there's some major performance issue, like creating a game that requires
some sort of local acceleration.

> My favourite so far is a portable instrument display. We have
> various instruments that are read by a Mac which calibrates
> the raw data and stores & serves it for any app that needs
> it. Using any browser (iPhone or computer), anyone on the LAN
> can connect to a certain web address, select one of these
> instruments and get a real-time, constantly updating display
> of this instrument's current value, in full screen on the
> iPhone. It is very cool to be perched on the top of a ladder,
> a long way away from any computer, filling a large tank while
> watching it's current volume being displayed in the palm of your
> hand:-)

I think that's an awesome use :-) Real time data acquisition and monitoring
and smart phones really go well together.

I don't have an iPhone yet, myself, but I can see a lot of value in creating
server monitoring applications with push alerts of some kind.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software