iPhone again

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 07:26:19 EDT 2008

> It seems to me that to approach iPhone development confidently you need to
> either:
>
> 1. Develop something that isnt your core revenue generator and accept the
> risk, or
>
> 2. Have a relationship with Apple that gives you the confidence you need to
> move forward

Or

3. Develop something that is so far outside Apple's interests that
there would be no way they would even consider going there.

4. Develop for in-house use.

I plan to do 1 & 3 but also mainly 4. Meanwhile, I have some Rev apps
producing static web pages customized to normal browsers or the iPhone
and a Rev cgi server producing dynamic pages, again specifically
designed to display well on the iPhone.

My favourite so far is a portable instrument display. We have various
instruments that are read by a Mac which calibrates the raw data and
stores & serves it for any app that needs it. Using any browser
(iPhone or computer), anyone on the LAN can connect to a certain web
address, select one of these instruments and get a real-time,
constantly updating display of this instrument's current value, in
full screen on the iPhone. It is very cool to be perched on the top of
a ladder, a long way away from any computer, filling a large tank
while watching it's current volume being displayed in the palm of your
hand:-)

Cheers,
Sarah