RR in Wine

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 13:37:06 EDT 2008

Well, as long as this has morphed into a Linux discussion, here we go.

1) On the bad news side, the most annoying thing is the lack of
hardware drivers for various gear, and the need to therefore work
around some of those issues.  On this lappie, there isn't a straight
wireless radio driver, so I'm reading through several threads on how
to fix that - time that I'd rather spend doing something else.  There
isn't a native driver for my mouse, so one of the things I'm used to
being able to do with it (and I just do by instinct) causes something
entirely different to happen instead.  A couple of printer brands
don't work.  For as much help as most of the forums are, there is a
lot of time to be invested and unfortunately some dead ends that are
there.  Some applications don't run on it, even virtualized,
apparently.

2) On the good news side, this machine is a POC.  It really is.  It's
using a chipset and motherboard that's 4 years old (even though the
machine was new last year).  When I have to get into Vista, I yearn to
return to Linux.  It is SO DAMN FAST by comparison.  Holy crap is it
fast.  It is hard to believe ow slow Vista (and even XP are) compared
to Linux.  It's unbelievable.  There are also nifty things built in
(that run fast) that I don't ever remember seeing in Windoze.

So, I'm hoping that we can get everything resolved, because I know
that I have to replace my old lappie shortly.  Thankfully I've been so
busy the last few days doing things that I can easily do in Linux that
I haven't had to think about it.  Hopefully it will stay that way.