is it worth reporting bugs in 2.6.1?

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 08:33:59 EDT 2008

The first thing I did after installing 2.6.1 on Linux was to run Bjoernke's
chat rev stack (http://bjoernke.com/runrev/chatrev.php), since it presented
so many problems in Rev 3.0 Linux.  After creating a legacy stack using 3.0,
in 2.6.1 I was at least able to submit more than a few lines to my chat
server, without the IDE locking up.  Even though 2.6.1 looks worse than 3.0,
I was feeling relieved.  At least I have a version of Rev that looks like I
might be able to work with it.

Then I noticed, that the chat rev stack had no 'close' decoration.  I
checked back in 3.0 and it has a 'close' decoration there.  So I opened up
my Ubuntu VM and installed 2.6.1 there.  There too in 3.0 it has a close
decoration, but not in 2.6.1.

So the same legacy stack opened in 2.6.1 on Ubuntu and Fedora has no 'close'
decoration, but on 3.0 it does have a 'close' decoration (and 'close' is one
of the items of the decorations of the stack).  Oh, and whilst I had that
legacy stack open on 3.0 on ubuntu, the IDE crashed.  This was a
freshly-restarted VM, and within 2 minutes of being opened Rev 3.0 crashed.
 I had done nothing but open chatrev.

Is it possible there is something in that stack that could be causing
problems?  I have a lot of respect for the skills of Bjoernke and the other
chat rev users, so I find it hard to believe that they would not have found
any obvious bugs in the stack by now, and reported them or worked round
them.

Chatrev is not the only thing I've had problems with in 3.0, but since I am
also seeing such bizarre behaviour in 2.6.1, I'm starting to think I am
jinxed.

I'm tired of weeks of bug tracking, and just want to get back to doing some
developmen, using Linux on my new laptop.  Is there any point in adding this
information to QCC?

Bernard.