RR in Wine

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 10:21:18 EDT 2008

Bernard, sorry, you are quite right.  When I first tried 3.0, I don't know
why, I thought they were working.  I was not very well at the time, and
don't know quite what happened.  Maybe it was an hallucination?  At any
rate, having verified today, this is what happens.  You have an application
open, move the stack being worked on to a different desktop.  It goes there.
You can also drag it to the second desktop in the window manager display.
Then, as soon as you move to that desktop to use that window, the stack
immediately goes back to the one where the Rev application is.  The same
thing happens with the dictionary.

So we are once more, apparently, in this ridiculous and infuriating
situation of having half a dozen work spaces empty and available, and also
having half a dozen application windows all crammed into one of them, one on
top of the other.

I don't know what can have happened.   I definitely thought it had worked
correctly, because it was one of the first things tried.  And there was a
posting from another Linux user which said that multiple desktops worked on
the beta, in response to a question.    This is on Debian with Gnome.  I'll
have a try with some other WMs, particularly fluxbox and WindowMaker, and
see if its common across them, and maybe also be able to have a try with
Mandriva and KDE in a week or so.

This has just got to be fixed if it really is a general problem and not just
my Debian installation.  You don't really need for every single element of
the IDE to be independently moveable, but at a minimum you must be able to
have the application stack, the script editor, the dictionary and the set
consisting of all the other elements - (property inspector, palette, menu
bar) on different desktops.  This was one of the things driving one to Geany
as a program editor, at least it would go where it was put and stay there.

Peter