Painting on an image in a group?

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Wed Oct 1 17:58:19 EDT 2008

Looking through my mails after just having returned from a few days
"time-out" for recreation I notice this "Painting on an image in a
group?"-discussion:

On Mon Sep 29, 2008, Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com wrote:

> Recently, David Bovill wrote:
>
> > I am really looking for a solution for painting an
> > image that is within a group.
>
> There doesn't appear to be a direct solution to this problem, so I made a
> small exercise out of it and came up with a workaround called Proxy Paint.
> Execute the following in your Rev message box:
>
>   go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/proxypaint.rev"
>
> This solution uses a separate image object outside the group to capture
> paint data, and then transfer it to the grouped image.  Maybe
> something like
> this can help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design

Some time ago we had a discussion on the Metacard list concerning
related problems of painting and drawing on images inside a group. The
solution found was to temporarily move the image outside the group,
apply the changes to the image, and then move the image back into the
group. The following script  demonstrates the implementation of this
principle (button "distortions: choose shape" contains the script that
applies changes to the image):

on mouseUp
  set the imagedata of img x to the imagedata of img x
  set the relayergroupedcontrols to true
  put the layer of img x into tlayer
  set the layer of img x to top
  send "mouseup" to btn "distortions: choose shape"
  set the layer of img x to tlayer
  set the relayergroupedcontrols to false
end mouseUp

So an alternative approach to Scott's proposal of creating and using a
second image would be just to move the image outside the group
temporarily and then put it back into the group after applying the changes.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>