USB barcode scanner?

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sat Nov 29 11:25:04 EST 2008

Timothy ,
Most of the bar code devices operate like a keyboard input device out
of the box as a straight barcode scanner (i.e. outputs a translation
of the barcode in text), others have features like storage where the
scanner does not have to be tethered to the computer, can dump later,
Wifi, etc.

Most of them won't mention the Mac, even though everybody's
conforming to standards. So don't let the PC part deter you, unless
you need software to do more than recognize IPC symbols. It appears
your scripts will do the rest.

  It's interesting in the peripherals world, when often many USB and
Firewire devices built to standards, are sold with no reference to
Macintosh at all in the ads and packaging, even though they work
perfectly (and often install without drivers) and are a significant
part of their sales are to mac customers. This is especially true of
hard drives and network routers. Incredibly ignorant of the marketers
if you ask me, and a wasted opportunity.

I used to be an annoying Mac Evangelist (remember those?) when we
felt we had to fight every fight against the PC 'hegemony', or we'd
be stuck with the alternative in the future. Today, Apple's strong,
hip, visionary, and makes solid products these days that sell
themselves, so I don't have to do that anymore.

  I think Jacque was on the Evangelists list, or was it Mac Marines?
It was a while ago. Over 20 years of mail-lists. The mind boggles.

>Hello!
>
>Can anybody recommend a usb barcode scanner that I can get to work
>with rev?  I using rev 2.81 and a Mac.  I've got my POS app working
>nicely now and it's time for the next step...adding a scanner.
>
>Thanks!
>

>Best Regards,

Timothy R. Ponn
--