In which PythonCard Forks...

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Nov 27 18:01:44 EST 2008

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> http://trac.medianix.org/wiki/PyCard
>
> Anyone who has ever followed the adventures of PythonCard, a card-type IDE for
> Python, with interest, might want to know that Rev has a new colleague in the
> card metaphor IDE space, to be called Picard.
>
> The developer having become displeased with the slow progress of PythonCard
> has taken the source and forked the project, and is now developing his own
> enhancements.  Apparently his main motivation is that he was just not getting
> the features he personally wanted from the regular project.  And it is true
> that PythonCard development had slowed to a crawl lately, after a very
> promising start.

Yeah, it's unfortunate (IMHO) that he has forked the project without
ever offering any enhancements to the original project. If he has the
time and energy to improve the project, he could easily have done so
within the existing project - but he has not (AFAICT) ever posted any
code or specific suggestions to the Pythoncard-developers list.
> Franco Lanza is the man, and bravely puts up his details in the posting.  His
> blog is:
>
> http://www.nexlab.it
>
> The name of the fork is to be changed to Picard shortly.  Lets see what comes
> of it.  Should be interesting.

It should be interesting. While I wish him luck, I do wish he wasn't
including inadequately tested code (mine!)  in his initial release.

-- Alex Tweedly.