OT: Totally OT, question about Apple aluminum keyboard

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Fri Nov 21 10:50:26 EST 2008

Good morning Peter,
I personally find the keyboard on my Aluminum G4 to be the best
laptop keyboard I've owned (going back about 15 years). Some people
I've talked with like the newer laptop keyboards better, but I don't.

In my office (and on the road, when I know I'm going to be doing a
lot of typing I carry a Mac/PC mini PRO from:
http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbmmacusb.htm
It uses the black-stemmed Cherry mechanical keyswitches (more info if
you are interested).

There is a USB model buckling spring keyboard based on the IBM Model M:
Google "IBM Model M" for a vast amount of information on the keyboard
- including sources of PS/2 to USB adapters (buy an old M at a garage
sale for $4).
I have not tried it, but, like you, remember the clickety clack Model
M fondly.

Another helpful item is:
Product Page: <http://www.sustworks.com/site/
prod_keyclick_overview.html>
This does not change the tactile part of typing but definitely
improves the auditory - you hear the keys click. And you can adjust
the volume! I've used it for a while now and like it a lot (great
bargain at $5). For a treat, try "typewriter" mode. You can try this
for a couple weeks without buying it.

Sincerely,
Paul Looney