Backdrop in Media

Shari Coxford scoxford at hermansilvercpas.com
Wed Nov 19 15:05:00 EST 2008

The forced backdrop when running a stack with the Media player is NOT user friendly, it is downright hostile.  It prevents folks from switching back and forth easily from other applications to the Rev stacks.

I've tried a boatload of ways to run these stacks without the backdrop.

Failed attempts:

# fails because the Rev player forces the backdrop
On preOpenStack
  Set the backdrop to none
End preOpenStack

# produces errors regarding the other stacks
There are three stacks.  The primary stack, which is the shell, and the two stacks where data is saved.  I did not embed them in case I ever want to turn this into a standalone.  Resaving the stacks with my Enterprise version and then attempting to run them with Stackrunner produces Can't Find Stack errors on launch.

# cannot override Revs built in controlKeyDown commands
Got the idea to maybe just let them use it in Media itself but hide the Media toolbars and menus so that they can only access mine.  However cannot find a way to disable controlKeyDown overrides that access Rev's menus.  I tried creating a dummy hidden menu to trap all of the commandKeyDown possibilities but just typing Control-T for example shows/hides the tool bar no matter how I try to trap for and prevent it.  I tried adding a menuPick handler to the stack with the items from the dummy menu, but again, Rev's built in commands get thru anyway.

# Hassle if they need a change or find a bug
Yes I could take it home, turn it into a standalone with my own Enterprise and bring it back for them, but right now I need to be able to update it on the fly when I am here.  If I turn it into a standalone I cannot update it and give it right back to them.  I'm only here two days a week and they may not want to wait for an update.

The only problem I have with the Rev player is that danged backdrop.  It really is unprofessional and hostile.  How can someone look at a file on their computer, and then use info from that file to enter it into the stack I've created for them?  They cannot.  The backdrop makes the Player totally useless in this case.  I understand Rev wanting to protect their stuff and make sure someone with Media cannot sneaky upgrade somehow, but the forced backdrop offers nothing.  It should have been optional.

I am very frustrated.

Shari