Converting Hypercard Stack -- No Scripts?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Nov 19 13:06:31 EST 2008

Wow, someone was cleaning up their computer here and sent me three
hypercard stacks that I think i made nearly 20 years ago!   One has some
important, still useful data.

I just opened the HC stack in Revolution and viola it appears. But I'm
getting some strange behaviors that I don't know how to solve.

This is basically a little roll-a-dex  of card with information about
Ayurveda ranging from info on foods, recipes, remedies for illnesses etc.

The cards are divided into sections like chapters in a book and these
chapters are are organized as sections... The home card has a set of
buttons that look like tabs at the bottom of the window:

Find, Remedies, Herbs, Organs, Recipies, Nutrients, New Card that goes
section.

Then each section has a unique set of buttons in a group that are nust
for that section

Nutrients, Breads, Chutneys, Curries, Liquids, Rices, Sweets, Plate Sample

It's a simple ebook... meant to be expanded as time goes on....

Now we have one basic problem:

I cannot find any script in any object!  there is no stack script, no
card script and no script in any of the groups that will open in the
Script editor.

But this is "nuts" because if I click on the buttons, they got the first
card of each chapter In those early days I did not know much and I just
used a find function to drive a button to a specific card. Today I would
name the cards... OK, so I open the stack in Application browser an we
see that in the tab buttons under the column that shows number of lines
of code in the script that most  buttons have 3 lines of code and some
have 5 or 12.

Again, I did not know what I was doing in those days and would today put
all the functions in the  stack script. But here's the wierd part... I
try to edit the script of a button that shows it has 3 lines of code in
it.. either the script editor will refuse to open or it opens and there
is no code there at all.

And sometimes I get  this error:

    compiling at 7:48:19 AM
Type    Chunk: can't create a variable with that name (explicitVariables?)
Object    Find
Line    put "find whole" &quote& kumba &quote into the message box
Hint    message

which shows that *some* script is active, but if I click "Script" to
open the script. nothing happens.
No script editor is invoked, and the script of the button with the
"offending" command is not available.

Any ideas?