Random algorithm

Randall Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Wed Nov 12 21:18:19 EST 2008

There is a huge difference between random and unique.  If you are after unique then just use the counting numbers.  If you need both random and unique you will have to check each number generated against a saved list of every previous number.  There is nothing wrong with a random number generator that spits out duplicate numbers.  Random is blind to history (and future).  Random is not nostalgic.  A coin with two sides is just as good at random as a pair of thousand sided dice.

Randall