Random algorithm

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Wed Nov 12 18:58:19 EST 2008

Le 12 nov. 2008 à 23:41, Richard Gaskin a écrit  (excerpts):

> for pure science, probably not.  But for getting work done in Rev,
> maybe.

One not-so-marginal problem is the criticism of pernickery* referees
when you (try to) publish your results. They DO want pure science, and
usually ask how you did obtain your random numbers !

> What is the application in question?

The application I'm developping presently is a general-purpose analyse
program of ecological data mostly designed for students training (but
it should be useful for "serious" work too). I don't want a good RNG
for THIS application only, it's to be used as a library for several
applications, mostly simulations in population biology and population
genetics, but also research of solutions of systems of equations by
processes like simulated annealing. And I suppose you will be glad to
hear that I find Revolution excellent to built such simulations, and
decently fast even without using externals. One quality of Revolution
is the ease to produce (among other things) a visual and animated view
of the progress of the simulation (progressive spreading and
diversification of genes across a geographic area with variable
climatic conditions, for instance). As a teacher, I like that, among
plenty of other qualities of Rev. As a researcher, I like also the
possibility to easy built quick-and-dirty, but efficient, programs to
solve problems when you meet them. And as an emeritus (hum,hum)
professor, I want to use some of the time suddently available to
replace my quick-and-dirty programs by well presented and well
structured applications. Made with Revolution, of course !

Jacques

* I went to the dictionary for this one ;o)

Prof. Jacques Hausser
Department of Ecology and Evolution
Biophore / Sorge
University of Lausanne