Embedding fonts anomalies

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Tue Nov 11 16:07:20 EST 2008

Am diving into embedding fonts for the first time.

I've been reading thru the archives and saw where some folks had
troubles with loading custom fonts, where fonts might work on one
system but not another, even within the same OS, or produce strange
results.  So I came up with an idea to ensure that things will work
properly regardless of the machine, OS, systemVersion, etc.  Is there
any reason this wouldn't work?

Load several custom fonts.  Create a heirarchy of first choice,
second choice, etc.  If firstChoice is in the fontNames then set the
fields to it.  Else move to secondChoice, thirdChoice, etc., ending
with several fonts that should already be installed on user systems
as a last resort.

I'd read where folks had trouble with text in fields disappearing and
so forth, but if I checked for the font to be in the fontNames first,
wouldn't this solve potential problems?  The app will end up on
thousands of machines of all flavors, so a trouble-free universal
solution is necessary.

Also, can Rev handle font suitcases as-is?  Or do I need to limit
specifically to someFont.ttf?

Shari
--
   Dogs and bears, sports and cars, and patriots t-shirts
   http://www.villagetshirts.com