Where did the CrashReporter logs go?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Nov 6 12:57:47 EST 2008

Trevor DeVore wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2008, at 4:43 AM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> In the days of yore, when Rev crashed, you could find all the gory
>> details in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter.  But now when my Rev
>> standalone crashes, no log. This is a brand new machine, (intel Mac
>> mini) running Leopard.
>
> Are you seeing the Apple crash report dialog when your Revolution
> application crashes? If not then no crash log will be created. There
> seem to be a couple of scenarios in 3.0 that will crash Rev without
> displaying the crash reporter. Apparently the crash is even too
> offensive for the system :-)

I think you're right - I think perhaps there's just been no crash reporter
invoked (since the errors invariably happen at 3am, with a gorilla loose
hammering the mouse, the fact that I haven't seen a crash report dialog didn't
seem necessarily significant.)  I've made my report with the little data that
there is in the console.   (#7409 if anyone's interested.)

Does anyone have a good simple recipe for a crash that does invoke the Crash
Reporter?  I'd quite like to build a 'crash now' button into the standalone so
that I can just confirm that I then get the normal Crash Reporter log, so that
I can stop worrying about it.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in (and TIA to anyone suggesting the script of
the 'crash now' button),

- Ben