Problem with Terminal (shell) and its encoding

Rolf Kocherhans rolf.kocherhans at id.uzh.ch
Tue Nov 4 08:39:28 EST 2008

Hello all

I have a small problem with the following command:

put shell("niutil -readprop . /users/`whoami` realname") into
varLongUsername
answer varLongUsername

If I execute "niutil -readprop . /users/`whoami` realname" in the
Terminal evan when
the username includes non standard ascii character it is displayed OK
in the Terminal.

But when I copy it to the Revolution side with the script above the
varLongUsername is
garbled where the non acssi characters are !

Hans anybody a clue how I can convert the garbage to the real letters
so that I can see
the real "Long Username" of a person ?

Regards
Rolf