Is RR too easy? Or too hard? (was) Is RunRev marketed to

John Patten johnpatten at mac.com
Fri May 30 11:30:36 EDT 2008

Hi All!

I've been tracking this conversation, and I can say that I beat the drum for Rev quite often in K12 education.  I like the idea of custom objects just for teachers, that they could snap into their projects, however, we practically have those items now in the current version of Rev :-)  (i.e. revBrowser)

I try to provide practical examples of how Rev could be used by teachers. (I just uploaded a couple of examples in RevOnline under the Education section: RevBrowser Example - Earthquake and RevBrowser Example 2.)

On a related note...
I'm very interested to see what RunRev comes out with in terms of other web components, similar to Andre and Chip's CGI work with Rev. I think if Rev would provide an easy interface for storing user actions on a network (ie "gradebook, record), ...simplifying the existing strategies of creating cgi components or socket apps, there would be a lot of applications that could be created that provide built in for accountability that would be very appealing to educators. Most of the commercial apps that are out for K12 education have a component that tracks the student's progress. Most educators probably would not have the patience for creating a process like this for their apps. But if you could drop an object into your stack that automatically writes to the output of a variable to a mysql db, or a flat file, ...oh what I'm I saying!??? Those are already in Rev!!!!  But maybe a little intimidating for a 2nd grade teacher who may have just picked up Rev.

Oh..., getting off track..., maybe if the process were a little easier, tutorials maybe designed specifically for educational use...kind of what ...i forget his name...sorry the professor out at BYU has done?

Just some thoughts!

Thanks!

John Patten
Sylvan Union School District