lineoffset slower than "repeat for each line j" ?

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Thu May 29 07:03:38 EDT 2008

Jim,

> I would be curious to know how the filter command works with your particular
> data set.  One of the speed difference factors I find is the exact
> configuration of the data.
>
> The filter command works fastest if the 'target' string in the first part of
> a the line, and repeat for each seems to be much more consistent.
>
> filter myVar with (tab & "*" & tab & "*" & "39900")
> if myVar is not empty
> --I know this does not solve your particular problem, but I am curious how
> your data set performs.

filter is even slower than lineoffset : 260 ms
Besides I can't use filter in my case, since I need to replace values in the 1st
and 2nd items of the found lines, and filter just picks the line and separates it
from the context...

> By the way, the verbosity of Transcript and the many lines of code are
> deceptive, since the compiled code is amazingly compact and efficient.

yep, actually I guess that lineoffset and filter, once compiled, use rather
complex routines, while "repeat for each line" remains much closer to raw
and efficient C code...

JB