Simple Database without SQL

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue May 20 16:37:26 EDT 2008

Le 20 mai 08 à 22:21, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Chris Young wrote:
>> I think I'm just going to go with a simple XML
>> external file to hold the data I need..
>> it really is going to be just a simple single user
>> database holding just simple name/address/phone number info.
>
> With a flat list like that you could just as well use a simple tab-
> delimited format.  It would be much simpler to parse, and you could
> even dump the contents into a field for a list view without
> modification.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

I agree so much.
Why making complicated what it can be simple...
In such a case (an agenda if I understood well) does not need more
than a tab/tab/return file.
Easier and quicker to set up.
And in addition, you can add 'columns' you need as IDs, open it in
Excel, etc.
The point, when you think as a professional is always: what's the
more reliable for my client and the easier for me :-)
I have used XML many times for building prefs files for instance: as
for the Rev Search Engine where it was preferable because many items
were lists.
But the simpler (if applicable), the better ;-)
My two cents.

Best regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet.