Significant Rev 2.9 problem handling Quicktime, and slowness

Stgoldberg at aol.com Stgoldberg at aol.com
Thu May 15 21:29:13 EDT 2008

I’m not sure if the following 2 problems were addressed in the forum, but
hope that someone can help:
I updated from Rev 2.7.4 to Rev 2.9.0 and then made a few small changes to a
stack I had created with Rev 2.7.4. The stack was working fine under 2.7.4 (I’
m working on a Mac desktop with OS X 10.4.11 with 8 mg RAM).   The following
problems then occurred:

I have a folder that nests both a stack and a movie folder.   The movies in
the movie folder   are referred to in the stack through the Quicktime player on
one of the cards. I put the file path to the movie in the Quicktime player
Property Inspector.   In Rev 2.7.4, I simply left the long absolute path to the
movie within the player, never changing it.   For some reason, this still
worked well in the standalone, even when the standalone was run on a different Mac
or Windows (Vista) computer.   The movies showed up.

In Rev 2.9.0, however, the long absolute path won’t work in the standalone on
the other computers.   I have to modify the absolute path to convert it to
the short relative path format.   While this method now works in the standalone,
it doesn’t work in the stack itself.   As soon as I create the short relative
path, the Quicktime player goes blank in the stack (whether using 2.7.4 or
2.9.0).   Is this a significant change in the way Rev 2.9.0 works?

Not only that, the stack itself now takes a long time to load up (several
minutes) when it is opened, and so does the standalone, whether on Mac or
Windows.
Thus there are two problems:
1.   The absolute and relative paths appear to act differently in 2.7.4 than
in 2.9.0. (the 2.74 way was more desirable since one didn’t have to shorten
the absolute path to create the standalone).
2.   After working with the stack in 2.9.0 it appears that the stack and
standalone take a lot longer to open than it did when I just had 2.7.4.   Now, if
I go back to using 2.7.4 to build a standalone on the same stack that was
altered in 2.9.0, it too is now associated with a long opening time of the both
the stack and standalone. (The stack is structured as one Mainstack and 4
substacks.   The only change I made was adding an extra card to the end of each
stack).

Does the above indicate some intrinsic problem with 2.9.0?   Does 2.9.0
somehow damage a stack that previously was created in 2.7.4?   Any advice would be
greatly appreciated, since I have many stacks created in 2.7.4 and I’m
wondering whether or not to continue working with them in 2.9.0.   Thanks very much.
Stephen Goldberg
stgoldberg at aol.com