integrating rsync with Rev

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Wed May 14 16:26:20 EDT 2008

I'm working on a project that requires robust downloading abilities
that include syncing remote and local directories, checking for newer
files on the server, and compressing files during downloading to speed
transfer.

I have written this code in Revolution but I'm not altogether happy
with some aspects, notably the fact that "background" downloading via
libURL is not completely in the background, slowing down
responsiveness, and even missing mouseUps at times.

Luckily, there is a GPL'd shell app called "rsync" that is amazing! It
does all this and much more, including the ability to only transfer
the changed portion of files! (something it would take a while to
script reliably in Rev and would need a serverside counterpart)

Has anyone worked with rsync? I feel anyone using Rev to upload/
download/sync files should investigate using rsync in lieu of commands
like "libURLdownloadtoFile", "put" or "load".

Anyway, rsync is easy (from Terminal), but I am having a hard time
getting started with using shell commands in Rev.

So, I am asking for help, of course, any suggestions via this list
greatly appreciated, once I get it working I would be happy to share
my stack.

If someone is excited about integrating rsync I would be happy to fund
this effort for the benefit of the Rev developer community.

Thanks for your input.