Is a file an alias?

Martin Baxter mb.userev at harbourhosting.co.uk
Mon May 5 13:11:56 EDT 2008

David Bovill wrote:
> I guess this works? Can someone test it on windows?
>
> function file_IsAlias someFile
>>     put the aliasreference of someFile into testAlias
>>     return someFile is not testAlias
>> end file_IsAlias
>>

> 2008/5/5 David Bovill <david at openpartnership.net>:
>
>> Is there a way to find out if a file is an alias. The only way I can do it
>> at the moment is with MacOS specific hacks?

If the file in question is *not* an alias (aka a shortcut on Windows)
the aliasreference returns empty here on XP. So I would expect the above
function to always report that someFile <> testAlias, Regardless of
whether it was one or not.

On Windows, shortcuts have the file extension ".lnk", perhaps all you
need to do is check for that?

A quick test shows this works on my system:

  answer file "whatever"
  put it into vv
  if vv is not empty then
    set itemdelimiter to "."