Augmented file references using Spotlight

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon May 5 10:51:49 EDT 2008

Brief update on this - I've been updating y research on Spotlight - seems to
work on the NAS well enough - and there are now a few projects working with
tags and the like - mainly opting for using spotlight comments.

Latest thought is therefore to work with these projects and choose some
keywords for this.

*Spotlight keywords*
There are a few attribute keys (common to many file types), that would be
good to be able to set:

   - kMDItemIdentifier
   - kMDItemKeywords

*Latest...*
But until such time as I get round to writing Spotlight plugins or Cocoa
programming then using the comment field and waiting for future developments
seems like a good idea. NB - this metadata in the comments field is only an
additional feature to the database - in that it allows the software to read
this info and quickly import or locate an entry in the database - full hash
support will be there but that is slow for large files.

I am going to try to make this spotlight metadata two way compatible with a
folder / bundle based structure similar to the one EyeTV uses - this would
seem to allow the structure to be portable to Windows either just using the
folders or as zipped files.

Of course I could use stacks and embed the videos and metadata.... :)