Script references to moving files?

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sun May 4 18:32:14 EDT 2008

2008/5/4 Mark Schonewille <m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com>:

> What kind of files are you thinking of?

At the moment I am working on a video archive - so the files are various
types of video and media. I want to associate these files with metadata as
you do. And I want the ability for the user to move these fields around on
their network however they want - at least within the same drive, but
ideally also to another drive on the network. This is the aim / ideal.

There are a few ways of getting close. I've looked at Spotlight = bit want
something that works cross platform.
I like the way EyeTV uses bundles to enclose the metadata - in fact I am
thinking of using that format as my media storage format.

For normal video / quicktime files I have been storing the metadata in an
XML file / database based for now on the file name. That's the bit I want to
change to make it independent of file name / path so users can move / rename
the files. So I have been experimenting with types of "finger print" - the
sort of thing I guess Apple DVD player uses to store BookMarks for DVDs....
which may work out (I wish I could find out how Apple does this - its a call
to a framework but what exactly does the framework do with a DVD?)

End of story is - I was thinking of using aliases in the mix - they can be
used to link the metadata file to the video file. I'm not sure. All I know
is that I am going to be moving and renaming these media files all over the
place the next few weeks and i want to keep the metadata associated with
them - and I don't want to be forced to use a home rolled GUI to do all the
reorganising, I also bet Spotlight won't work with the NAS.