Can't change directory with shell(cd)

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Thu May 1 23:06:57 EDT 2008

>  The reason I was using shell() instead of a built in Rev command were:
>  1.) I didn't know about it :)
>  2.) My first objective was to copy a file into a folder. I had used
> revCopyFile and it was taking 15 seconds to copy a small file. I  new I
> could use ditto and it would be (is) much faster. So I decided to do the
> rest with shell().

Something seems wrong there. However if using ditto works for you,
then that's fine.
I haven't done much with copying files. Moving them is very fast using
the rename command, but copying is different. If the files are small
you could try:
  put URL ("binfile:" & tOriginalFile) into URL ("binfile:" & tNewFile)
but if they are larger than a few MB, that might not be so good as it
reads the entire file into memory before writing it out again.

>  Do you have cr defined as return?

"cr" is defined in Rev. I prefer using it instead of "return" because
"return" also means return a value from a function and I prefer to
make sure they are obviously different. And it's shorter to type :-)

Cheers,
Sarah