Fame, Fortune, and... well, less of the fortune...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 1 11:33:37 EDT 2008

Ian Wood wrote:

> It's been interesting keeping an eye on the referral statistics - in
> less than a day, links from the Apple site have already overtaken
> nearly a month of exposure on MacUpdate (two betas and the final 1.0
> release), and is catching up fast with VersionTracker.
>

> Stats question - how many of you keep track of referrals and downloads
> via other sites? Next time I'll make sure to have multiple copies of
> the download so that I can keep track of how many downloads came from
> which site.

I'm not sure I understand:  log files contain the referrer, so you can
track downloads of a single file from any site that way.

Most log analysis software sucks, but with Rev it's easy to parse the
raw logs into any format you find convenient.

As for sites, in addition to Apple, MacUpdate, and VersionTracker, I
also post to Download.com.  There are about five million other download
sites, and a very few which address specific markets can be helpful.
But to be honest, I've stopped bothering with most of the smaller
download sites.  There's just too many of them, and most of them are in
it really just for the AdSense weight they get when you link back to them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation