numToChar(13)

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon Mar 31 09:32:36 EDT 2008

Recently had the following problem processing lists from ftp directories -
fetching and displaying the directories in a list field was fine but when I
tried to use the list field to obtain an ftp url the script failed - the
debugging was a nightmare as the ftp url looked correct and manually
entering the url worked fine. The problem? numToChar(13) returned from the
ftp url. So I now use this script to fetch the directory listing:

function ftp_FolderContents ftpDirectory
>     libURLSetFTPListCommand "NLST"
>     get word 1 to -1 of url ftpDirectory
>     replace numToChar(13) with empty in it
>     return it
> end ftp_FolderContents

Rev uses numToChar(10) for line endings (showing its Unix origins), but if
written to a file on a Mac, using URL "file:", they're translated to
numToChar(13). if using URL "binfile:", no translation happens, so
numToChar(10) is preserved. I thought the act of putting text into a field
cleaned' up the line endings to standard Rev numToChar(10) = CR's - but
seems not? I am also not quite sure hwat to expect from different ftp
platforms - it seems NLST is CRLF seperated - but my server is Unix not a
PC?

I am wandering if there is any tutorial out there that goes into these
issues in any depth - they also come up when using certain command line
tools, and reading and writing data in CGIs.