why XHTML cannot be parsed with RevXML ?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Mar 17 23:15:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:23:01 -0300, Andre Garzia wrote:

> I use XHTML with Revolution all the time. Many CGIs and tools we use
> at HimalayanAcademy.Com are a combination of XHTML templates and
> Revolution. I use Ken Rays stsXML Library 2.0 for it supports unicode
> better than RevXML. It is slower but I think it is worth it every cpu
> cycle.

Thanks for the plug, Andre!

Actually I ran your example in the STS XML Library and it extracted the
data just fine. If you don't have a huge amount of XML to parse (it can
handle up to a thousand or so nodes pretty handily), you might want to
give it a try for this
(http://www.sonsothunder.com/products/xmllib/xmllib.htm).

> The thing is that your XHTML must be a valid honest XHTML with no
> transitional things mixing HTML and XHTML. One thing that will trigger
> trouble in STS XML Lib is ampersands inside attributes, which is
> common in XHTML forms and links that target CGIs with params. To solve
> this, I escape the ampersands and replace them later.

Actually, this has been fixed; the current version (2.0) lets you turn
off validation, so you can have the ampersands unescaped in attributes,
and it'll work just fine.

:-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.