OT: Programming as a profession-the "practice" model

Petrides, M.D. Marian mpetrides at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 16 13:57:00 EDT 2008

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I offer the following as a
synopsis of the  sentiments underlying the posts about the "Learn
Programming in One Day" ad. The common thread seems to me to be that
programming, like any other profession, is not so much taught as
practiced.  Just as medical or law schools teach the rudiments of the
profession, the real learning takes place in the day-to-day practice.
Without lifelong learning, no lawyer, doctor, or programmer will come
close to achieving his/her full potential.

Someone once told me in my first year of medical school that "medicine
is a personal philosophy, tempered by science and experience, and put
into practice."  It seems to me that the statement applies equally to
programming.  My 2 cents.