Multiple Stacks Active at Same Time

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Mar 16 01:35:17 EDT 2008

Steven Axtell wrote:
 > I did try at least putting it in
> the substack script.  I had put in the following code:
>
> on preOpenStack
>   lock screen
>   pass preOpenStack
> end preOpenStack
>
> on OpenStack
>   unlock screen
>   pass OpenStack
> end OpenStack
>
> I did this hoping to lock the screen before the substack opened up.  The
> mainstack became inactive when the substack opened.  I need to do some
> more checking on this.

Won't work, I'm afraid. The "lock screen" command is really more like
"lock window". It doesn't affect the display when you are changing
windows, it only works if you are changing the content inside a single
window.

If I remember right, you want two windows to be active at once. That
isn't really possible on any OS -- the same behavior you are seeing
happens in any app that has multiple documents open. However, you can
force a window to the front with a script if you want, using the
"toplevel" command or the "go" command. So after your user clicks a
button in one stack, you can go to the other and it will be on top.

If what you are trying to do is create a palette, then the solution is
easy; just open your "control" stack as a palette:

   palette "myStack"

Palettes always float on top and you won't see window titlebars flashing
back and forth. Palettes require some attention to which stack is the
defaultstack though, so be careful if your palette buttons use "this
stack" in their scripts. "This stack" may not always be the one you
think it is.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com