Learn Programming in 1 Day

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 15:56:22 EDT 2008

Richard Gaskin wrote:

"what is the specific number of days you would
consider a minimum for applying the phrase "learn
programming"?

Eight?  23? Hundreds?  Thousands? 4067? Hundreds of
thousands?

And please define "programming"."

OUCH !

Part 1: I suppose learning programming (as I
understand the term) is rather like learning a human
language; an ongoing, never ending process involving a
constant process of refinement.

Part 2: "Programming"; Well we could try comparing the
6 year-olds I have worked with just now for 6 weeks
who can manage "I have a father", but when you say to
them "Has your friend got a father" they look at you
as if you are daft because they don't understand
'has'; with your good self, who, presumably, judging
by the standard of your e-mails are highly proficient
in English :)

How about this definition:

"When your abilities with a particular programming
language / IDE is as good as Richard Gaskin's English
you can call yourself a programmer."

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.