Exporting Everything To Text

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 14 04:36:07 EDT 2008

At last, sorry chaps, recent lack of inspirational
flashes.

A totally redesigned TEXTIFIER is now available via
revOnline:

It will now export an extremely tedious list of
properties, scripts, field contents, . . . . . . . ,
ad nauseam to a text file.

Why?

Because this is something I have been wanting to do
for about 2 years,

and because the other day I was fiddling around with a
webpage using KompoZer and popped across into
TextWrangler to have a peep at the HTML and thought
that it might, sometimes, be useful to view
RunRev/MetaCard stacks in a different way.

It would be perfectly feasible to design a stack to
recode the exported text file as the stacks it
describes;

people might like to muse on whether or not it might
be possible to have, say, 100 people working on
sections of an incredibly complex stack where only one
RR licence is used. I don't particularly want to go
down that route, even if only for the simple reason
that the good folks in Edinburgh might put a price on
my head :)

Presumably, TEXTIFIER will also work with MetaCard, I
haven't had the time to try it out.

The coding is to the usual Richmond Standard of
Maximum Awkwardness and has data popping in and out of
fields like nobody's business.

If you want to see the full glory just set the stack
dimensions to about 1200 by 800 (um, sorry, my 17"
second-hand monster does 1600 by 1200) and watch the
"action" as it runs on a fairly complex target stack.

If you don't like the Richmond Standard of Maximum
Awkwardness feel free to rewrite bits of it, the whole
of it, or start all over again and do it your way.  If
you do any of the above, except for the last, please
give me credit.

NASTIES:

The only really nasty Nasty as far as I am concerned
is how the object scripts are spat out; I had to
replace linefeeds by " / " because of a problem I ran
into with the main listField so in the resultant text
files scripts look rather silly:

on mouseUp / beep / end mouseup /

this is a bit bad as the would-be text-editing
programmer is not given a tidily laid out script like
the script-editor presents in RR/MC; it makes LOOPS
very difficult to keep track of for a start.

STACK SCRIPTS:

Oh, dear, just realised I left them out; although now
the script is "as it is" (all in one button "GO !")
this is easy enough to sort out.

I would be very grateful if anybody with a spot of
time could play around with it and let me have some
feedback.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.