A chunking mystery

David Coker davidocoker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 23:10:46 EDT 2008

Hello folks,
I have a handler built that does nothing more than checking for a zero
in a specific item located in a scrolling text field and if found,
deletes the entire line. It seemed to work flawlessly with all of the
test files that I had chosen to work with while building the app. No
problem, I thought.

Then I started using an assortment of real data (all CSV format, with
the target item in the same location), only to find that I was getting
unreliable results. I have a fairly large data file where the app
always works, yet another much smaller one that the target zeros are
almost ignored. I can mix and match sample data from both files and
get varied results. I've even tried sorting the field to get them up
to the top of the file, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

  repeat for each line thisLine in tSource
    if item 2 of line 1 of tSource = "0" then
      delete line 1 of tSource
    end if
  end repeat

The sample files I'm using came from different sources, but are
otherwise identical in general composition, structure and delimited
format. Any ideas as to what I need to be looking for? Still using the
2.51 studio version. (bummer!)

I'd totally appreciate any boost in the right direction.
David