[OT] "They Criticized Vista. And They Should Know."

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Wed Mar 12 23:17:24 EDT 2008

> The simple fact is, there is ZERO compelling reason for the
> average user to want to upgrade. Period. That's pretty sorry
> for five plus years in development.
>
> With regard to Office, it's not the OS, but a completely
> different interface. So instead of evolutionary, it's
> revolutionary. And, IMO, while some things are better, some
> others are worse-- evidenced the the fact most everyone I
> know of complain when first using it. We've already had
> discussions here on the list regarding 'ribbons' and whether
> or not people like them. In any case, we'll have to wait and see.

Its funny Chipp, but I got my first, first hand look at this at CES 2007 and
that is really what struck me the most.

At the time was thinking about huge corporations that have settled in on
using Office, or various government agencies. Even fairly mild updates, like
Office 97->2000, there's a lot of training that usually takes place to get
everyone up to speed. But then there's this ribbon thing. What additional
value is anyone going to get from this to justify the cost of all that
training?

Even when there are compeling new features (and I don't see them in 2007), a
developer is going to take a hit when a stalwart and known UI gets junked.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software