NEWS FLASH -iPhone SDK event -- iTunes APP store

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Fri Mar 7 11:11:04 EST 2008

>The iPhone version of XCODE is designed for the iPhone (XCODE Touch)
>- input and the other
>features of the iPhone require it. Also, there is a technical requirement that
>you use an Intel Mac with Leopard.
>
>Looks like a major (maybe impossible) job for Rev to be involved in this.
>
>sims

Actually modified xcode code generation for the iPhone has been
around for many months, but unsupported by Apple because this was
done by the developer community. That's how a number of iPhone apps
were developed, though without the benefit of being able to use a
debugger or the simulator.

That meant that prior to the release of this SDK, standard code (with
some limitations of course - no multiple windows etc) was already
being used to make apps for the iPhone. Apple's SDK just takes all
this much further.

All the input stuff is in the OS code or frameworks that's built in
so you get to inherit lots of stuff automatically as long as you are
using Cocoa. There's some new capabilities that are available, but
for now, being able to create the kind of apps that we are able to do
today (ok, 1 window apps) would already be nice.

Jesse