Extracting pitch information from sound files

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 04:37:00 EST 2008

The subject line pretty much says it all, but more specifically I
want to statistically analyse change in pitch, not play it, save it
as sound or relate it directly to any musical system.  So any kind of
rational number would be fine, and I would then chuck away
the .wav .aiff or whatever.

1/  How hard would it be to parse sound files recorded in Rev and
extract just the chunks of data relating to pitch ?

2/  Does it make any difference if the sound is complex (like an
animal call) or simple like a signal from a tone generator?

3/  Are any of the formats offered by Rev easier to handle in this
respect?

4/  Assuming standard bit rates, how much pitch data would be
generated by, say a ten second recording?

5/  I have settled for post hoc parsing rather than 'on the fly'
processing because I assumed the overhead would be too great for the
latter to work.  Is that right?

5/ Are there any other sensible questions I should be asking?

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership

http://www.i-psych.co.uk