Team Development / Exporting stuff to text files

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Wed Mar 5 16:30:16 EST 2008

On 05/03/2008, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> David Bovill wrote:
>

> That said, I suppose if we look at all possible scenarios we could find
> circumstances for which a finer level of granularity may have a positive
> ROI.  We've found no significant limitations with stack-based
> check-in/check-out thus far, but in the infinite range of all
> possibilities I can't rule out that we might be able to lower our costs
> even more with a different way of working.

Richard - I don't think you got the point of  what i was trying to say. I am
agreeing with you. There is no ROI for finer granularity approaches - in any
circumstance. 100% agreement on that.

What I am trying to say is that the approach of open source development is
not one of ROI - it is a loss to the developer, gained back if ever
indirectly in terms of peer reputation. I am argueing for svn like tools not
based on ROI for the developer but ROI at the community level. SVN like
tools support the sacrifice in terms of productivity that a developer gives
when engaging in open source development to make this sacrifice tolerable. I
am saying that current stack based approaches are not succeeding over many
many years in producing collaboratively evolved high quality libraries or
tools. This is in stark contrast to projects that do use svn like tools -
there is a reason to think that there may be a link between these factors.
Though it is definitely not the only reason.