Please Test Revolution 2.9 Beta!

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Mar 4 11:21:40 EST 2008

Hi Dave,

> How to I get a Beta license for the latest 2.9 Beta release?

Thanks so much for asking, I was just about to post to the list a plea for
people to test.

As many long-time list participants know, we are reaching the end of long
process to release Revolution 2.9, which I sincerely believe will be the
most functional, most reliable, and highest-quality version of the product
ever released. Our goal with this edition is to ensure there's absolutely no
reason to use any other version of the software. (We know there a few hold
outs who have stuck with Revolution 2.6.1 or, bafflingly, even older
editions.)

In Revolution 2.9 you will find:

- Top-notch support for modern Linux, Vista, Mac Classic(!) and Leopard
- New features, language commands and functions
- Totally revamped printing, clipboard, and drag-drop support
- Vastly improved user guide and documentation
- Hundreds and hundreds of bug fixes
- And much, much more

In short, Revolution 2.9 is intended to give you and users of your solutions
the absolute best experience.

The current prerelease version is Beta 12 (RC5) and I suspect this will be
one of the last if not THE last beta version before we go to release
candidate status. Once we go to "RC" the scope of problems we can fix will
be quite narrow. Therefore, I urge *everyone* to aggressively test this
version against current and past projects.

I've just sent out notices to our nearly 800 beta testers with download
links and activation codes for this beta.

- If you are a registered tester have NOT received the notice, check your
junk mail folders and if it's still not there, please send an email to
bill.marriott AT runrev DOT com .. I will resend you the letter.

- If you are NOT registered for the beta, please do so now. Visit

  http://support.runrev.com/beta_test.php

  You will get an auto-response that your registration was received and I
will send out another batch of instructions in the next 24 hours.

- Current Enterprise license holders may obtain the prerelease version by
using the "Check for Updates..." command in the Help menu.

Please review the release notes and "changelog" files in the application
directory for the detailed list of changes to this version and focus your
testing in those areas, as those are the most likely to have introduced
errors. Please open a variety of stacks and check that they work the way you
expect. If you have the ability to do so, run it on a variety of operating
systems. (You can run Linux or Windows XP in a Virtual Machine).

And of course, report your findings, if any, in the Revolution Quality
Control Center:

http://quality.runrev.com

Let me empahize again this may be your last chance to impact the quality of
our final release in a positive way, so  please take a few moments now to
register (if you haven't), download, and test!

Thanks and good luck...

Bill