rev apps on iPhone?

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Sun Jun 29 05:03:48 EDT 2008

Hi KC,

People who refer to PowerPoint, Excel, Pages, Keynote, Filemaker, and
other applications just aren't familiar with XCode because they are no
die-hard programmers. They don't know that all those objects they
would like to see in Revolution, such as real table objects, are
readily available in XCode and .Net. People who are asking "why
doesn't this work like in...?" really have a point.

XCode and Visual <put language here> are really neat development
environments, compared with MPW, ZBasic, MS Basic, QuickBasic, Think
Pascal, Think C, etc. I'd expect the typical school boy or girl to be
able to learn all the ins and outs of nowadays development
environments during summer holidays, just like I did with HyperCard 20
years ago.

20 years ago, we saw people drawing a silly puppet on a card and
adding one non-working button and releasing their "programme". Having
no internet, people thought they were doing cool stuff and since
HyperCard was the only environment of its kind, they were actually
doing pretty cool stuff, even if their software didn't work.

Nowadays, no right-minded school boy or girl would ever release an
XCode project with just a picture and a non-working button, because
this is obviously uncool. Times have changed.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

Benefit from our inexpensive hosting services. See http://economy-x-talk.com/server.html
  for more info.

On 29 jun 2008, at 02:45, Kay C Lan wrote:

> I tend to agree with this, but on the other hand I don't.
>
> Sometimes I read posts here about people wanting better this, or
> better
> that, and usually they make a reference to some app like; 'it's been
> in
> FileMaker for years, like Excel has, similar to PowerPoint, just like
> iTunes, etc etc'. This is worse than comparing chalk to cheese. I
> rarely see
> any 'I want x,y or x, just like Xcode, or name your favourite
> development
> environment.' I don't know, I've never really done much with Xcode,
> but I
> imagine creating a table that works just like Excel probably takes a
> lot of
> hard work.

<snip>