Printing limitations

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 08:08:46 EDT 2008

Jac,

 From the adobe forums:

OlafDrümmer - 4:25pm Jun 7, 08
Distiller 8 seems to max out at around 1 million pages. I have seen
PDFs with more than 1 million pages created by other tools.

The real limit is file size: 2 GB until a while ago (IIRC until
Acrobat 7), close to 10 GB by now (due to the cross reference table
not being able to use byte offsets larger than what fits into 10
digits).

So one may reach a limit not because of maximum number of pages but
because of maximum file size (max. byte offset values in xref table).

ALSO, Pagemaker had a 999 page limit. (Don't use it anymore, so I
don't know if this was changed.)

ALSO, on windows the print spooler used to have a 999 limit. (The
entry field was only three digits)

HTHs

Tom McGrath