what actually happens when sending a message out of a repeat loop?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Jun 22 00:03:55 EDT 2008

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> When you send a message like this:
>
>   repeat 100
>    send "DoSomething" to btn "SomeScripts"
>   end repeat
>
> ...it executes DoSomething and only returns to the calling handler
> when DoSomething finishes.
>
> But if you use this form:
>
>   repeat 100
>    send "DoSomething" to btn "SomeScripts" in 10 millisecs
>   end repeat
>
> ...then the repeat loop will continue, and DoSomething (like all timer
> messages) will only be fired once the engine hits idle.
>
> Are you using the "send...in <time>" form?
>
> If not, we may need to see your scripts to figure out what's going on
> there.

Aloha, Richard:

I got to see your picture from Andre's camera as you roamed the dry zone
in Nevada. We had a center in Virginia City for years.  I loved the
silence of the desert!  Then they started in with the open strip mining
and the road past our place (The old famous brewery just down the hill
from main street) became a main road for commuters to Carson City and
the atmosphere was pretty much lost forever.

Anyway, I can now put a face to your name. The man who told me about
metacard years ago and i never looked back...(smile)

I have an interest in the above "send" issues...

You say "...then the repeat loop will continue, and DoSomething (like
all timer messages) will only be fired once the engine hits idle."

But, are they not piling up in the MessageQueue, to be executed, one
after another, never the less? And if params are sent along with the
cmd, are they also queued up?

I've seen issues with CPU getting eaten alive and other "memory" issues
which I do not fully understand, but I know relate to this messagequeue
business and, like Tiemo, I would like to understand it better.

Sivakatirswami